Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Reason 1: I love Books

So, here's kind of a real life update before I get into the logic behind starting my job with Usborne.

1) I officially have 2 craft fairs booked.  That didn't take a lot of work to book, just research.  Craft fairs are great because they take me outside of my network of friends.  One of the craft fairs is 4 days long, and apparently 75,000 people attend the show, so my boss is getting someone to help me with that.  That's a little...um...out of my league.  So, I'm really excited about trying my hand at that.  So far, so good.

2) I've officially set the date for my kick off party.  September 28, 2013.  10am-2pm.  I mean, yes, to be honest, sometimes I do feel a bit like a 16 year old girl wondering if anyone is going to come to my birthday party.  But then I remind myself, this is part of the fun.  This is the risk taking part of a business venture.  So, besides the nerves, so far so good here, too.

3) I've officially booked two parties.  This is where the real work starts, but I think they're going to be so fun.  The two hostesses I'm working with are A.W.E.S.O.M.E. and are totally relaxed.  It's basically going to be a blast working with them.  Plus, I'm able to offer them spectacular incentives since it's in my first 12 weeks of starting.

4)I got my website up and running. You can visit it here.  Any time you want to check out what is available, just go check out the website.  You can buy directly from the website and it will all get shipped directly to you.  They're also running some good internet specials this month.

.................
Okay, so let's get into a little of the back story.

After a series of potential part time job leads did NOT work out, I was feeling a little discouraged.  Nevertheless, I continued my search until something was dropped right into my lap.  In the course of 24 hours, I went from unemployed to having a wonderful freelance job of helping a non-profit get off their feet.  Specifically, it's a child sponsorship program, which I have previous experience in before marrying my husband.

I've been out of the work force for a while, but can I say this?  I missed working.  I really did.   I feel like my spare time has purpose now.  Before getting this job, I would just pointlessly scour the internet for new information to consume.  Now I have THINGS to think about during those odd moments of free time.  Furthermore, they're things I ENJOY thinking about.

So, I guess with a bit of extra hop in my step, I thought to myself, "Is there another stream of income that I could create?"

I was browsing Pinterest one day when I saw some pin where a lady said she sold books, and I thought to myself, "I've never been into getting people to buy stuff, but I bet I could do something like that if I was selling something I loved like books."  As the wheels in my head turned, I remembered I had a friend in Atlanta who sold books.  I talked with her, and thus began my relationship with Usborne Books and More (UBAM).

So the first and foremost reason I'm doing this is because I really do love books.  Books have been such an important part of my life.  They've been the portal to a far away land when I felt imprisoned in life's circumstances.  They've been the teacher to my soul when I choose to listen to no one else.  My perspective on life constantly evolves because of books.

One of my favorite feelings is going to a used book store and finding literary treasures.  Matt and I often scour used bookstores for our favorite author, George MacDonald.  Books give me characters I want to emulate.  I'll never forget the first time I read Jane Eyre.  I was a freshman in college and I learned that it was far better to be a woman of character than to fit the mold that society expected me to fit.  I remember reading Les Miserables and crying in my car at the end, parked up at Campus North at Liberty University.  I remember sitting at Godwin High School in the library highlighting in Brennan Manning's Ruthless Trust and realizing that God might not just love me, he might like me, too.  I remember being so empty and being filled by N.T. Wright's Simply Christian.  I remember reading George MacDonald's The Curate's Awakening and feeling okay with questioning my faith.

There's so many ways that books have made me the woman that I am today.  I want to share that first and foremost with my children, but really with everyone I meet.  UBAM gives me an avenue to share my passion.  I can honestly sell something that I believe will truly open up a world of possibilities to the next generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment